Garbage & Recycling Rules & Regulations
Regular Garbage Pickup
- Garbage is collected once a week and must be out on the curb before 7 a.m. Find your pickup schedule.
- If you have a problem with your service, please call ACE Recycling and Disposal at 801-363-9995.
- There are only four holidays that garbage will not be collected. If your regular pickup falls on one of these holidays, or the holiday is before your pickup day (the same week), your collection will be delayed by one day. When in doubt, put it out. They are:
- Independence Day
- Thanksgiving Day
- Christmas Day
- New Years Day
- Containers are only emptied once a week per container. Please do not refill your container and put it across the street, etc.
- The lid must be closed. If you have excess garbage that overflows your container, the lid can only be raised six inches. If the lid height is above six inches, your container will not be emptied.
- The first regular (green) and recycle (blue) cans may be marked with the house number (first four digits in your address) in order to help you identify your can. Do not mark any second cans, green or blue, as they may be returned to West Valley City.
- Containers must be placed at least five feet from light poles, fences, mailboxes, etc. They must be placed at least twenty feet from a vehicle. If you have more than one container, they must be placed at least three feet apart for the automated arms to have room to pick them up.
- Containers are not to be left on the street. They can be put out the night before your scheduled collection day and must be removed after they have been emptied on the same day.
- Additional garbage and recycling containers may be ordered through the West Valley City Sanitation Division. Containers may be picked up at our office Monday through Thursday, 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. If you would like an additional container delivered to your home, you may contact the office at 801-955-3720. View the fees for additional containers on our fees page.
- If your container is broken or damaged, you may contact our office to have the container replaced. There is no charge to replace containers that are broken or damaged through normal use. If containers have been damaged or abused by the resident, there will be a $75 charge to replace the container.
- Burned or melted containers: Do not place hot coals from fireplaces or briquettes from barbecues in your container. They will burn or melt the container. Containers that have been burned will be replaced at a charge of $75 per container.