West Valley City Fireworks Regulations
West Valley City Municipal Code 17-24-112 Discharge of Fireworks Restricted:
- It shall be unlawful to discharge any fireworks within 100 feet of temporary stands, LPG flammable liquid, or gas storage and dispensing units.
- It shall be unlawful to discharge any fireworks with in 20 feet of any residence, dwelling or other structure.
- It shall be unlawful to discharge any fireworks in any area west of SR-111 in West Valley City.
- Except as provided in title 4, it shall be unlawful to discharge any fireworks on property owned by West Valley City.
In addition to the restrictions enacted, the use of fireworks is prohibited in the following locations:
- Along the Jordan River Parkway, and on any property adjacent to the parkway
- Along 6400 West from 4700 South to 5400 South, and all properties immediately adjacent to ATK
- All West Valley City parks and properties
- Within 100 feet of any of the irrigation canals in the City
Map of Restricted Areas
The Unified Fire Authority has also compiled an interactive map showing the restricted areas around the entire county.
We appreciate the cooperation and help with these critical safety issues.
Fireworks Safety Tips
West Valley City wants to make sure you have a fun and safe holiday season. If you see misuse of fireworks please contact West Valley Police at 801-840-4000 and follow these tips:
- Always follow the recommendations of the firework manufacturer.
- Keep a 30 foot clearance area in all directions from the base of the device, with unimpeded clearance over head (Trees, awnings, etc.).
- Have a bucket of water nearby to place spent fireworks in for at least 12 hours before discarding into a garbage can.
- Parents are strongly encouraged to supervise children while using fireworks, and no one under 16 may purchase fireworks.
- Should a firework misfire or not light, do not attempt to re-ignite and do not place in water.
- Never use fireworks during windy conditions or near fields areas.
- Brace all aerial cakes with noncombustible weight items to avoid tipping.
Utah State Regulations
Sale of Fireworks
Class “C” fireworks can be sold on the following dates:
- June 24 to July 25
- December 29 to December 31
- Two days before and on Chinese New Year’s Eve
Use of Fireworks
Fireworks may be discharged during the following dates between the hours of 11 a.m. to 11 p.m., unless noted:
- July 2 to July 5 (discharge hours extended to midnight on July 4)
- July 22 to July 25 (discharge hours extended to midnight on July 24)
- December 31 (discharge hours extended to 1 a.m. on January 1)
- Chinese New Year's Eve (discharge hours extended to 1 a.m. the following day)
More information is available on the Utah Fire Marshal Website.